Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Joy, my Mame

{ Mame and I Christmas 2006 }

Two Years Ago Today My Loving Mame Went to Heaven. Her name was Joy Kay.  She was my rock, I went to her for everything! Joy was my Mother's aunt but we grew up knowing her like a Grandparent.  She loved my Siblings and I probably more than humanly possible. I remember growing up the four of us kids would take turns on the weekends spending the night at "Mame's and Papa's." Almost every weekend she had one of staying with her.  I remember even fighting with my brothers saying,
"This isn't your weekend, it's my turn to go stay with Mame!!"
We loved spending our weekends with her.  I realize now more than ever how much she loved us and how invested she was in our lives.  At one point when I was 11 or 12  I even had my own room there! I had a water bed and hung up my "JTT" posters.  I was spoiled! As we grew up we still loved spending time out at Mame's, just going over there to have dinner and staying up to watch CSI and the Evening news was so enjoyable. I loved going over there because she was always so interested in how I was and what was going on in my life.  I loved talking to her because I could tell her things that I couldn't tell my own Mother (like kissing boys). I still can hear her voice so clearly and see her face so vividly.  
My favorite day of the year (besides my birthday) was always Christmas Eve.  I would spend the night on the 23rd and help get everything set up for family and friends to come over Christmas Eve Night. When I was about 17 Mame would give me a Styrofoam Cup with wine in it so my mom wouldn't know what I was drinking, although she caught on real fast (but it still happened every year).
I Can't Believe it's been two years, It really seems longer. 
When she died it was the biggest void I had ever know in my life, right now as I right this tears can't help but flow from my eyes... I had never been so crushed and til this day it's still hard to talk about her without getting tears, I miss her so Damn Much!
While in the process of moving I found a card that my friend Lindsey wrote to me.  Lindsey and I have been friends since middle school and she also knew Joy really well. 
{ Card from my Sweet Friend, Lindsey }

In her card she wrote,
"Just Remember all that she's taught you over the years and she will forever live through you and consequently your children and so on..." 
I found this card after I had already named my daughter "ELLA JOY." 
This card means more to me than she could ever know. I only wish Ella was able to know the woman that I named her after. I am so blessed to have known such an amazing woman who brought so much Joy into my life. 
{ Tattoo in Memory of Joy }

Growing up my Mame told me I was part of a tribe.  A tribe that was ruled by Women.  Our ancestors would walk around barefoot with feathers around their ankles.  When my Papa would walk in the house we had the hand motion we would do and say "Wewoompthem."
At her funeral her daughter, Angela, my mom, my sister and I all wore feathers around our ankles and walked in barefoot.  It was in honor of our "Tribal Chief" I just wish I could have seen my Mame's face, I know she would have love it!! Months after her death I got the feather tattoo in memory of her. 

"Wewoompthem
Wewoompthem
The Kamasockee battle cry.
To the last of the truly great chiefetts We're going to do as it is written and 
go on, but you'll always but in our hearts " 

 -Angela (Joy's Daughter) , In memory.    

No comments:

Post a Comment