Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chicken Kebabs and Nectarine Salsa

Tonight I decided to make a new meal.  I also decided I would be using chicken.  For those people who know me very well I know this might come to you as a shock!  I was a vegetarian for years before I was pregnant with my daughter and since then I'll eat chicken every once in awhile as long as I feel good about the quality of the chicken.  With that being said I haven't cooked with chicken in years! Everything I make at home is 90% vegetarian or I use Fish.  Tonight I bought some organic chicken ( but who really knows where that even comes from - honestly..) and I brought chicken home to my kitchen to cook with for the very first time! Sam, Daniel, and Ella all enjoyed it with me! I am adding this to "must make again" list for dinners!
  



Finish Meal, The chicken had great flavor and with pair perfectly with the Salsa and Whole Grain Rice!

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 324
  • Fat: 8.9g
  • Saturated fat: 1.5g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
  • Protein: 41.2g
  • Carbohydrate: 18.5g
  • Fiber: 3.8g
  • Cholesterol: 99mg
  • Iron: 1.9mg
  • Sodium: 547mg
  • Calcium: 44mg



Chicken Kebabs and Nectarine Salsa



Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 skewers and 3/4 cup salsa)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 24 (2-inch) pieces
  • large red onion, cut into 32 (2-inch) pieces
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 cups diced nectarine (about 3)
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado

Preparation

  • 1. Preheat broiler. Combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow dish; let stand 15 minutes.
  • 2. Thread 4 onion pieces and 3 chicken pieces alternately onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place skewers on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 12 minutes or until chicken is done, turning occasionally.
  • 3. Combine nectarines and next 6 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a bowl. Gently stir in avocado.
  • via cooking light.com

No comments:

Post a Comment